Monday, April 11, 2011

Dominic McGill

Dominic McGill is an interesting artist.  His work doesn't seem to be different pictures of faces or landscapes drawn together but rather many different strong words and phrases that give off a controversial theme of both the present and the past.

 
This first piece by McGill looks like pure chaos.  Most of what is in this piece is different phrases that seems that it would be too time consuming for one to actually read and understand what the artist is actually trying to tell.  I do however like the different old fashion faces placed sporadically throughout the piece.  Some of the words seem to be backwards as well, which I don't quite understand.

This piece by Dominic makes a little more sense to me.  It has more of theme about race and color and seems to show words that would represent different cultures and their controversies around the world.  I also like that the piece was placed on a wall rather than just on a piece of paper framed and placed on the wall.
This last piece by Mcgill also seems like a very controversial one that may also be about race.  Some of the images and words are really extreme and graphic.  The unusual and disturbing pictures of the pig and human like characters really bother me.  I'm trying to understand the overall theme and message that the artist is trying to tell but I can't really say I can.  I see the word black a lot but some of the words around it don't really make sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment